School: SIM Global Education
Course:Diploma in Accounting
This programme is developed and awarded by the Singapore Institute of Management, Singapore.
This 18-month programme is for you, if you intend to pursue a career in accounting or general commercial, management and operation.
Lecturers are both academic and industry-based professionals with extensive work experience and knowledge in their domain.
The course is 100% face-to-face lecture-based learning. Coursework includes attendance at lectures, discussions of case studies, tests, presentations, and completion of group and individually-written assignments.
Classes and workshops are available on study skills, academic writing and presentation.
Remedial classes are provided to students who are required to take supplementary exams.
Include module outlines, reading lists and handbooks on study strategies
18-month full-time programme (3 semesters) of 15 modules:
- Auditing and Assurance
- Business Accounting
- Business Management and Communications
- Business Statistics
- Business Law
- Company Law and Secretarial Practice
- Cost and Management Accounting
- Economics for Managers
- Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Information Systems for Business
- Managing Human Resources
- Managing Business Finance
- Principles of Marketing
- Professional Self-Development
Contact hours: 42 hr per module, total: 630 hr
3 semesters. Each semester is a period of six months.
Lectures at least 5 times a week (Mon-Fri)
Each lesson: 3 hr
2 intakes a year in April & October, each covering 18 months.
April intake: early April to end-September (following year)
October intake: early October to end-March (year after next)
Maximum allowed period to complete the 18-month programme is 36 months or 3 years
No refund or recourse when student did not complete in the maximum period
SIM reserves the right to recommend and withdraw a student who cannot cope with the demands of the programme, especially when the student’s pass has expired.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 students. Students will be informed within 30 days before class commences.
Five GCE ‘O’ level passes (Grade 1-6) including English as first language and Mathematics.
Other qualifications will be assessed based on the equivalence to GCE ‘O’ level examinations.
Applicants who do not meet the academic requirements might be recommended to undergo a 6-month Management Foundation Studies (MFS) programme.
For international applicants (full-time programme only)
International applicants will be assessed on the qualification’s equivalent to the GCE ‘O’ level exam.
English Language Requirement
- GCE ‘O’ level pass in English (as first language); or
- IELTS with an overall score of at least 5.5; or
- TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based) and 4 in the Test of Written English (TWE) or 79 (iBT); or
- SAT1 score of at least 550 (critical reading or writing); or
- Pearson Test score of at least 49/100; or
- An equivalent English language qualification.
Applicants who do not meet the English language requirement would need to study the Certificate in English Language Upper-Intermediate (CEL Level 5) programme before enrolling in the Diploma programme
- Duration of the CEL programme depends on the applicant’s English language proficiency.
- Applicants may sit for an English Placement Test conducted by SIM to determine their English language proficiency level.
- IELTS or TOEFL or SAT1 or Pearson test scores must be less than two years at point of enrolment
- The SIM English Placement Test results is valid for 1 year from date of test
Assessment & Exams
Continuous assessment and end-of-semester exam.
Continuous assessments include case studies, class tests, discussions, presentations, group and individual assignments.
To attain a pass for each module, students must achieve overall minimum GPA of 1.0 (grade D).
Local students: 75%
International students: at least 90% attendance in any month of the course (as required by the Singapore Immigration Checkpoints Authority)
Graduating students who passed all modules will be issued a transcript and awarded with a Diploma certificate from SIM upon graduation.